05 Oct UpcomingThe Jazz Course – Doug Goodkin (USA)
Date: Monday 15th January – Friday 19th January 2024
Time: 9:00 am – 4.00 pm daily (Registration from 8:30 am on Monday)
Doug Goodkin (USA)
Doug Goodkin is an internationally recognised teacher of the Orff-Schulwerk approach, training teachers in over 50 countries worldwide. Alongside his teacher-training work, he worked with children from three years old to eighth grade in The San Francisco School for 45 years before his recent retirement.
He continues a rigorous schedule of giving Orff-Schulwerk Courses throughout the world, both on Zoom and live, keeps an ongoing blog, and performs with his jazz group Doug Goodkin & the Pentatonics. He is the author of 10 books, most recently Jazz, Joy & Justice: The Stories Every American Should Know and Teach Like It’s Music: An Artful Approach to Education. Doug received the Orff Pro Merito Award in 2000 and AOSA’s Distinguished Service Award in 2018 and is featured in the documentary film The Secret Song.
Now in its 35th year, this ground-breaking course will include current breakthroughs in social justice education alongside the tried-and-true material and processes for making jazz accessible to children of all ages through an Orff-Schulwerk approach. The course includes:
- Games and roots music that give children the foundation for jazz style.
- Speech, movement and body percussion activities.
- Beginning jazz for Orff ensemble playable by elementary school children.
- Select blues, jazz standards, jazz compositions, ragtime and Latin jazz arranged for upper elementary and middle school students.
- Essential jazz theory and improvisation.
- Beginning jazz history with a social justice perspective.
- 35 hours of active, embodied learning
- ANCOS approved course
- Comprehensive course notes
- Professional Development Certificate
- Morning tea and lunch every day
Closing date for registration: WEDNESDAY 20TH DECEMBER 2023
Applications are accepted and confirmed in order of receipt.
Maps of the area, site, etc. will be sent once payment is received, approximately one week before the course.
PLACES ARE STRICTLY LIMITED – PLEASE REGISTER EARLY TO AVOID MISSING OUT.
The following text is required for the course and can be ordered through Optimum Percussion or online.
Please order ASAP to allow for postage time.
- All Blues: Jazz for the Orff Ensemble – Doug Goodkin (Pentatonic Press)
- Step It Down – Bessie Jones & Bess Lomax Hawes
- Boom Chick a Boom (CD) – Doug Goodkin & the Pentatonics
- Jazz, Joy & Justice: The Stories Every American Should Know – Doug Goodkin
- Own instrument to play (e.g. trombone)
All course notes will be supplied in an electronic format (via a link) prior to the course. You may wish to download and print these notes or simply download them to your smart device to bring each day. Please note that the venue may not have WiFi capabilities for participants.
80% of the course fee will be refunded if cancelled before 20th December 2023. No refund will be given after this date.
Payment information – Antoinette Hildebrandt
(Email: email@example.com Ph: 0408 670 506)
Course information – Peta Harper (Email: firstname.lastname@example.org)
- The Jazz Course
January 15, 2024 - January 19, 2024
9:00 am - 4:00 pm